St. Jerome's is working towards a gradual reopening of campus and is following the guidelines set out by the Ontario Government, Community Public Health, and the University of Waterloo, to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
SJU leadership continues to support work-from-home arrangements for employees, where possible. Access to on campus office and work spaces is by request and authorization only. For staff and faculty with authorization to return to campus, SJU’s protocols and compliance requirements (effective August 2020 and noted below), must be followed to ensure the safety of our community. The Return to Campus Committee will be monitoring all spaces.
If you have any questions in this regard, please direct them to your manager.
In order to return to campus – to work or visit – all employees are required to complete the COVID-19 Return to Campus Training.
Return to Campus training information will be sent to you by your manager/VPAD, once your access to campus has been approved. You will need to read through the complete training and all related pages and content, then electronically sign off on it. Once signed off, a copy of your acknowledgement of this training will be sent to both your manager and Human Resources.
Your training will cover information regarding: safety protocols, (self-assessment, PPE, signage, the use of face masks, and sanitation); illness reporting (specific instructions for reporting COVID-19); and support and resources.
Return to Campus protocols on our campus continue to be guided by the Ontario Government, Community Public Health, and the University of Waterloo. Given the changes occurring in the pandemic environment on a daily basis, you may be required to complete this training multiple times as we update information. Your manager/VPAD will let you know when you are required to “refresh” your training, as guided by the direction of SJU’s senior administration leadership and the Director, Human Resources.
All protocols, procedures, and signage must be followed by employees while on campus, to help minimize the spread of COVID-19.
Building access is currently restricted on SJU’s campus. To support our contact tracing protocols, please refer to the following compliance requirements, prior to planning your visit.
- Employees must request access to campus to visit or work. To make a request please contact the Interim Vice President Academic and Dean and/or the Executive Director, Finance and Administration. Please refer to the “Building Access, Offices, Shared Spaces” drop down on this page for further information.
- If access to campus has been approved, employees are asked to keep a log of their visit - date, time, building(s) - and share this information with their supervisor.
- Managers are required to maintain a log of employees (date, time, building/area accessed) and external parties (contractors or vendors) who are working on campus. In the event of illness, Occupational Health will use this list to help identify people with whom the individual may have come into close contact.
Please review the mandatory check-in screening process update provided by the University of Waterloo (November 27, 2020), and follow-up memo sent by the Senior Administration Team to SJU employees (November 27, 2020).
Building access is currently restricted on campus. Please review the map provided to confirm access restrictions and travel navigation routes. Face masks are required in enclosed spaces, as per Region of Waterloo Face Mask By-law 20-035.
- Increased facility sanitation measures are in place, including elevator panels and twice daily washroom sanitization.
- Hand sanitizer stations are placed at all entry points into buildings and shared spaces.
- Posted occupancy limits in rooms and elevators. Signs are posted.
- Follow posted visual cues with respect to hygiene practices and physical distancing.
- One-way entrances, exits, and stairwells are designated.
- Masks are required inside buildings at all times except when alone within your personal office.
Only authorized staff and faculty may access on-campus offices. To make a request please contact the Interim Vice President Academic and Dean and/or the Executive Director, Finance and Administration.
- A mandatory self-assessment must be completed the same day as you are heading to campus. Click here or visit covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- When you are in your personal office alone, you may remove your mask.
- To maintain air circulation, keep your office door open, and open windows when possible.
- No more than one unmasked person may be in a staff or faculty office space at a time. If there is more than one person in an office, masks must be worn and physical distancing must be maintained.
- Use provided sanitizing wipes to clean computer keyboards and mouse, desk surfaces, doorknobs, and other high-touch areas before you begin to work and before you leave.
- Avoid meetings or gatherings where physical distances cannot be maintained and continue to meet virtually whenever possible.
- Maintain recommended physical distancing furniture layouts in common spaces.
- Masks are mandatory in all common spaces. If physical distancing is unavoidable, limit the time spent in close proximity.
- Bring your own dishes and utensils and refrain from using dishes in kitchenettes.
- Refrain from providing or consuming communal foods.
- Where possible leave communal doors open to reduce contact with door handles.
- Avoid sharing equipment such as pens, staplers, headsets, or computers. If sharing is unavoidable, sanitize between users.
- Remove non-essential communal items such as pamphlets, candy, magazines, etc. in shared spaces.
- Disinfecting wipes will be made available at shared equipment locations. Each individual is asked to clean and disinfect after each use.
Senior leadership will continue to support work-from-home arrangements for SJU employees. Please note the following:
NEW - RT System for COVID-19
Now you can use the SJU RT system to submit your feedback to the Campus Response Team, share a COVID-19 compliance concern, and help to keep us connected to your preferred communications tools. For more information see the recent Return to Campus Update - RT Announcement.
All employees are encouraged to use the tools provided through our IT department to support working remotely. Please follow information storage guidelines provided to create, use, store, and manage University documents at home. Please continue to use the RT system if you require support if you experience technical difficulties.
Keeping in Touch
Employee managers/chairs will provide departmental updates as required.
Emails will be distributed to employees from the President and Return to Campus Committee leadership when university-wide impact statements are necessary.
Please use the WatSafe application for emergency updates from the University of Waterloo regarding outbreaks and closures.
All financial protocols remain consistent with pre-pandemic working conditions. Please confirm payment methods for services with the Finance Department.
Faculty and staff are to continue to arrange courier deliveries to their own home. While our Reception desk remains closed and in the interim, please re-route other mail to the following address:
St. Jerome’s University
263 Phillip St.
Waterloo, ON N2L 3W8
Use of the photocopier on campus is restricted and only available to those who have been authorized to be on campus. Only one person is permitted in the mailroom at the time.
Employees are encouraged to use the Homewood Health services offered as part of their benefit plan. Please contact the Director, Human Resources for additional support if required.
Sick days should be reported to your manager. If disclosing suspected COVID-19 infection, please report to your manager and they will advise from there.
The University of Waterloo Health Services (located across from SJU's Academic Centre), has just opened a COVID-19 Testing Assessment Centre for UW students, postdocs, and employees. Book an appointment to be tested if you are showing COVID-19 symptoms, or a public health unit or the COVID Alert app notifies you that you’ve been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus. Learn more at Campus Wellness.
Please minimize non-essential in-person interaction by continuing the practice of virtual meetings.
- Minimize non-essential in-person interaction by continuing the practice of virtual meetings.
- Campus visitors are restricted to essential contractors/service providers.
- All requests for visitors must be authorized by the Vice President Academic and Dean (Cristina Vanin) and/or the Executive Director, Finance and Administration (Mike Gourlay) before they are permitted on campus.
- Once approval has been received the employee responsible must communicate the university safety protocols to the visitor.
University of Waterloo Student/Employee COVID-19 Hotline - 1-833-UW-COV19 (1-833-892-6819)