Reporting to the Manager, Residence & Business Operations, the Community Life Assistant is immersed in facilitating student engagement and residence life programming for SJU students. This is a live-in position that shares the residence on-call responsibility with other Student Affairs staff. The Community Life Assistant is also responsible for enhancing leadership and engagement opportunities within the residence and student community at St. Jerome’s University.
- Collaborates with Student Affairs team members to support holistic development of students through student programs and activities
- Assists the Student Affairs team, with the recruitment and selection of student leaders (e.g. Dons, Community Advisors, Student Activities Team members, etc.)
- Supports the development and learning of student leaders through training and mentoring
- Supports day to day student life and residence life programming and activities.
- Supports coordination and implementation of key annual student-focused events (Orientation Week, Winter Formal, and other similar initiatives)
- Assists with key residence processes, including move-in and move-out
- Meets regularly with residence student leaders and brings items of note to the attention of residence staff
- Works with the Student Affairs staff to ensure residence expectations are followed (e.g. student conduct, consequence management, noise complaints, and other related items)
- Shares responsibility for after hours on-call support for the residence community
Student Life Involvement
- Attends events and meetings of other SJU student leader groups, often during evening and weekends
- Works closely with student leaders to coordinate residence and student life programming that supports and encourages academic enrichment, personal development, and the community involvement of all students
- Provides communication support for student life focused initiatives (print, web, social media, etc.)
- This is a full-time position with a flexible schedule to accommodate events and programming (including weekends and evenings) based on the student life schedule
- This is a live-in position. The incumbent is provided with a private suite containing a bedroom, living room, washroom, and kitchen as part of their compensation
- Must have access to a vehicle or willingness to access alternate transportation for regular work-related errands
- Event support may involve heavy lifting
- Completion of an undergraduate degree
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in residence and/or student life programming at SJU as a student leader
- An understanding of the First Year university experience, and student transition
- An understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion as it relates to student life
- Training such as ASIST, SafeTALK, and Mental Health First Aid strongly preferred
- FirstAid and CPR training strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience with software programs such as Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Presentation and group facilitation experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
Employees have opportunities to participate in our community, work within cross-organizational teams, demonstrate their commitment to learning and development, and contribute to the University’s mission. As a federated university with the University of Waterloo, St. Jerome’s University employees, just like our students, enjoy the advantages of a small community while have the opportunity to participate and contribute to the greater community.
Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021.
We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The university respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. Applications from all qualified individuals are encouraged.